an effort to preserve Rajasthan's great heritage, many palaces
and forts have been converted into museums, art galleries
and archaeological sites. These all display a wealth of
rare and unique collections including arms, weapons, paintings,
manuscripts, potteries, photographs, ornate mirrored furniture,
Persian carpets, and vintage cars.
in the heart of Ajmers's old city and close to the railway
station the museum is housed in the beautiful fort and palace
built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1570. It was here that
the British envoy Sir Thomas Roe met Emperor Jahangir in
in the Dil-e-Aaram Gardens of Amer, the ancient capital
of Jaipur, this museum was established in 1949. Prior to
this, the excavated material from Rairh, Bairat, Sambhar,
Nagar were housed at Vidyadhar Gardens in Purana Chat. In
July 1949 the entire collection was transferred to Dil-e-Aaram
Garden, a part of the old palace at Amer. An Art Gallery
was inaugurated in 1992 in this complex.
in the old City Palace this museum has a unique collection
of arms, bidri work, lacquered and ivory work, musical instruments,
stuffed animals, miniature paintings, Persian and Sanskrit
manuscripts and beautiful brass and pottery works from Jaipur,
Multan, Bengal and Ceylon.
Virat Nagar Museum
Nagar was the capital of the legendary Matsayadesli. Frequent
references of Matsayadesh have been made in the Indian epic,
the Mahabharat. During the epic period, the area around
the district of Jaipur, Alwar and Bharatpur came to be known
as Matsayadesh with Virat Nagar as its capital. The museum,
although not very large holds a rich collection of excavated
material such as pottery, pikkins, old coins, seals, metallic
pieces, weapons and statues.
in the centre of the famous Lohagarh Fort, the Bharatpur
Museum houses a large collection of archaeological wealth
from the nearby areas. The huge palatial building Kachahari
Kalan, once the administrative block of the rulers of Bharatpur
state, was converted into a Museum in 1944. The Kamra Khas
(personal chamber) building on the first floor was later
added to the museum.
Mahal, the imposing halls added by Maharaja Gailga Singh,
now house the Fort Museum. It contains a fine collection
of antique Rajput, weaponry, jade handle daggers, camel
hide shields and inlaid handguns and camel guns. Cold and
silver howdahs, jhulas, kis and a first world war biplane
are also displayed. Photographs and items of personal use
by Maharaja Ganga Singh and miniatures are also on view.
Golden Jubilee Museum
in 1937, just prior to the Golden Jubilee celebrations of
Maharaja Gaiiga Singh, this Museum is now run by the Government
of Rajasthan. Some principal sections of the museum are:
the Maharaja Ganga Singh Memorial, local Arts and Crafts,
History, Sculpture, a Terracotta and Bronzes Armoury, Miniature
Paintings and Folk-Arts, the Dr. L.P. Tessitori Memorial
Section and lithoprints of the British Interpretation of
the war of Independence 1857.
Prakash Palace Museum
large section of the Fateh Prakash Palace was converted
into a museum in 1968. It has a great collection of sculptures.
Amongst the important ones is Ganpati (8th-9th century)
from Pangarh and the Indra and Jain Ambica statues from
Rashmi village. Also displayed are weapons, daggers and
newly constructed museum named "Rajmata Devendra Kunwar
State Museum and Cultural Centre, Dungarpur" was opened
to the public in 1988. The sculpture gallery of the museum
throws light on the history of Vagad Pradesh that spread
over the present areas of Dungarpur, Banswara and Tehsil
Kherwara in the Udaipur district.
in the centre of the sprawling Ram Niwas Bagh, this is the
oldest Museum in the State. It was built in 1876 when King
Edward VII visited India as the Prince of Wales. It was
opened to public in 1886.
Art Gallery - Ram Niwas Bagh
small gallery in the first floor of the Ravindra Manch Auditorium
shows a selection of works by well known modern artists
and sculptors of Rajasthan.
behind the beautiful Hawa Mahal (Palace of Winds) in the
adjoining Partap Mandir, a museum was set up in the year
1983. Preserved here is the sculptural heritage collected
from Ganeshwar, Virat Nagar, Raid, Sambhar and Nagar.
Sawai Maan Singh II Museum
within the City palace complex and nestled amidst old buildings,
temples and the palace quarters, this museum was founded
in 1959 by Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II. It exhibits ancestral
collections built up by the successive rulers of Amer and
Government museum in Jaisalmer is situated on Police Line
Road near Moomal Hotel. It was opened in 1984. It houses
a large collection of wood and marine fossils and gives
an insight into the geological past of the area. Sculptures
from the ancient townships of Kiradu and Lodurva dating
back to the 12th century pulsate with youth and grace and
depict the skill of the time.
well organised museum is divided into six sections and has
a rich collection of paintings, photographs, costumes, hairstyles
and jewellery, utility articles of rural life, camel and
horse decorations, fossils, ornamental arches and articles
connected with folk and cultural lifestyles
museum is situated in the old Garh Palace near Bhawani Natya
Shala. The sculptures and architectural fragments from the
8th century city of the Chandravati and sculptures and epigraphs
from the Jhalrapatan region fill its galleries.
in the Umaid gardens on High Court Road, this museum has
a large and interesting collection. There are many stuffed
animals including a number of desert birds. The military
section includes wooden biplane models and an extraordinary
excellent museum with rare and interesting artefacts, textiles,
paintings, transport items laid out with care and thought.
The Palanquin and Howdah Galleries display a superb collection
of old and costly specimens of great historical value.
Bhawan Palace Museum
ruling family of Jodhpur has recently converted a part of
the gigantic Umaid Bhawan Palace into a Palace museum. Items
on display include rare collections of rocks, watches, fine
china, ornate mirrored furniture, glass and crystal ware,
Madho Singh Museum
in the old palace, the museum has a superb collelction of
Rajput miniature paintings of the Kota
school,exquisite sculptures, frescoes and armoury. The museum
also houses a rich repository of artistic items used by
the Kota rulers.
Housed in the Brijvilas Palace near the Kishore Sagar, the
museum displays a rich collection of rare coins,manuscripts
and a representative selection of Hadoti sculpture.Especially
noteworthy is an
exquisitely sculptured statue brought here from Baroli.
and Art Gallery
at the Raj Bhawan, it was a collection of archaeological
excavations dating back to 8th-12th century A.D. It also
has Jain bronze carvings,brassworks etc. for viewing.
A majestic architectural marvel towering over the lake on
a hill surrounded by crenallated walls, it is a conglomeration
of courtyards, pavilions, terraces, corridors, rooms and
hanging gardens. The main part
of the palace is now converted into a museum. Among the
items displayed is the Mor Chowk with beautiful mosaics
of peacocks, the Manak or Ruby Mahal with glass and porcelain
figures. Krishna Vilas has a remarkable collection of miniatures.
Beautiful mirror work is displayed in the Moti Mahal. Other
exhibits include the princely Rolls-Royces.